Saturday, December 24, 2011

Halloween engagement party cake

I'm getting married September 15th, 2012, and my parents decided to have my engagement party in tandem with their annual potato bake, harvest party. Because this falls right before Halloween I decided to make a "Dia de los Muertos" themed wedding cake. My dad bought the cake topper for me from Amazon for like 20 bucks.



This was a pretty simple cake. Just two layers within each tier. I put them together so the top one is set back on the bottom, not perfectly centered. I used fake flowers (I'm no sugar artist). For the spider webs I bought a tube of Wilton's black icing and used it right out of there. I drew on lines with a toothpick where I thought I'd make the spiderwebs, but then it ended up that the frosting was coming out a lot thicker than I thought it would, so I ended up free handing the spiderwebs once I made the base lines. The second picture shows the back, I made a spiderweb with melted chocolate on wax paper and put it in the fridge to cool. It came off the waxed paper amazingly well and looked good leaning against the cake. I was going to attach a cake pop spider but it didn't turn out looking very good so I just ate it instead. In the end I put a few fake spiders on there to bring it all together. Oh and the beads around each tier was made with Wilton's impression mat (I love that thing! Can't live without it)

No comments:

Post a Comment